A sulfite used as a preservative in many foods
Sulfites can inhibit the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, causing other diseases. Some people are sensitive to sulfites and can have serious reactions to them ranging from wheezing to potentially life-threatening anaphylactic reactions. As a result, sulfites should be avoided by anyone with a sulfite allergy or sensitivity. People with asthma have between a 1 in 20 to 1 in 100 chance to having a sulfite reaction.
Sulfites inhibit the growth of four species of beneficial gut bacteria at concentrations regarded as safe for foodhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5646858/